Protect your pup from these 9 common pet poisons:
Chocolate is toxic for dogs. It contains theobromine and caffeine, which elevates their heart rate, affects their nervous system, and causes a serious medical emergency.
If you think your dog ate chocolate, call your vet immediately. Determine how much and which chocolate they ingested because it will impact the course of treatment.
Mouse and Rat Poisons
Mouse and rat baits are a pet poison found in many households. All rodenticides are toxic for dogs.Make sure you restrict your pup’s access to any rat poisons you’re using to rid your house of these rodents. If you can, always use humane mouse traps instead of toxic substances.
Over the Counter Human Medication
Never give your dog the chance to get their paws on any of your medication. Keep all of it in a high cupboard and don’t leave it lying around on the table or in a purse.
Ibuprofen, aspirin, paracetamol, antidepressants, and herbal supplements can all cause an upset stomach, vomiting, neural damage, and even death. Take extra care to keep them away from your dog. Certain human medications are pet poisons and should only be given to your pup if suggested by your vet.
Xylitol is a common sugar substitute for humans, but a dangerous pet poison. This sugar substitute is in items like chewing gum,breath mints, supplements, and toothpaste. It is highly toxic to dogs. Even a small amount causes low blood sugar, liver failure, and death.
Grapes and Raisins
Fresh and dried grapes are highly toxic to dogs. Experts aren’t sure what substance causes this extreme reaction. Eating a single grape can lead to sudden kidney failure. Don’t let your pup get near this common pet poison.
Fertilizers pose another threat to your dog. Always store them on a top shelf where they’re safe from curious noses. Most of these products contain nitrogen, phosphorus, or potassium.
Ingesting fertilizers causes abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea. Safely storing fertilizers and keeping your pup off freshly treated grass prevents a medical emergency.
Onions and Garlic
Onions and garlic contain a substance (N-propyl disulfide) that breaks down blood cells and leads to anemia. While these vegetables aren’t dangerous for people, they’re a pantry pet poison.
Onions and garlic also quickly lead to an upset stomach. Never feed your dog dishes containing either vegetable, even if it’s a home cooked sauce, because the smallest amount of this pet poison triggers a reaction.
If you suspect your dog ate a pet poison, it’s important to react as soon as possible. Call your vet immediately, identify exactly what your dog ate, and how much of it. Your vet may advise you to just keep monitoring the situation, but to be on the safe side, always check in with them first.
Save 10% on your order when you sign up for our newsletter and when your order is over $40 you get free shipping! Keep your pantry stocked and savings on lock!